Source: Jay County, Indiana, Original Marriage License, "Harry S. Green to Loetta J. Metzner, 1900"; County Marriage Returns Collection; Jay County Historical Society, Portland, Indiana.
State of Indiana, Jay County, SS:
To All Who Shall See These Presents, Greeting:
Know Ye, That any person empowered by law to solemnize Marriages is hereby authorized to join together as Husband and Wife
Harry S. Green and Loetta J. Metzner
and for so doing, this shall be his sufficient authority.
In Testimony Whereof, I, Ed V. Fitzpatrick Clerk
of the Jay Circuit Court, hereunto subscribe my name and affix the seal of said Court at Portland, Indiana, this 18th day of May 1900.
Ed V. Fitzpatrick, Clerk
STATE OF INDIANA, JAY COUNTY, SS:
This Certifies, That I joined in Marriage, as Husband and Wife,
Harry S. Green and Loetta J. Metzner on the 19th day of May 1900.
Rev J.W. Metzner
Source: Jay County, Indiana, Original Marriage Return, "Harry S. Green to Loetta J. Metzner, 1900"; County Marriage Returns Collection; Jay County Historical Society, Portland, Indiana.
INDIANA STATE BOARD OF HEALTH
RETURN OF A MARRIAGE TO COUNTY CLERK
1. Full Name of Groom Harry S. Green
2. Place of Residence Jay Co. Ind.
3. Occupation Farmer
4. Age next Birthday 30 Color White Race Caucasian
5. Place of Birth Jay Co. Ind. Nationality American
6. Father's Name William Green
7. Mother's Maiden Name [illegible]
8. Number of Groom's Marriage First
9. Full Name of Bride Loetta J. Metzner
10. Place of Residence Jay co., Ind. Occupation House keeper
11. Age next Birthday 30 years. Color White Race Caucasian
12. Place of Birth Jay Co. Ind. Nationality American
13. Father's Name William F. Metzner
14. Mother's Maiden Name Mary A. Haley
15. Number of Bride's Marriage 1
16. Married at Bride's Parents home in the County of Jay and State of Indiana, the 19th day of May 1900.
17. Witnesses to Marriage Mr. & Mrs. W. Green and Mr. & Mrs. W. Metzner
Marriage solemnized by
Rev. J.W. Metzner
Dated at Briant, Ind. this 19 day of May 1900.
This record of the marriage of Harry S. Green and Loetta J. Metzner was located at the Jay County Historical Society in Portland, Indiana.
Loetta was the daughter of William F. Metzner (1844-1929) and Mary Ann (Haley) Metzner (1846-1926), making Loetta my first cousin three times removed.
Prior to locating this record, I only had her name as a child of William and Mary, and now have a new avenue to research.
The minister that married them was Loetta's older brother, John W. Metzner, and Evangelical Association minister.
Interesting that the spelling of the name of the town in Jay County was used as 'Briant', rather than Bryant as it is today.