Source: Jay County, Indiana, Original Marriage License, "Frank O. Bittikofer to Ora M. Haley, 1904"; County Marriage Returns Collection; Jay County Historical Society, Portland, Indiana.
State of Indiana, Jay County, SS:
To All Who Shall See These Presents, Greeting:
Know Ye, that any person empowered by law to solemnize Marriages is hereby authorized to join together as Husband and Wife,
Frank O. Bittikofer and Ora M. Haley
and for so doing, this shall be his sufficient authority.
In Testimony Whereof, I, Francis L. Crowe Clerk of the Jay Circuit Court, hereunto subscribe my name and affix the seal of said Court at Portland, Indiana, this 20th day of February 1904
Francis L. Crowe Clerk
STATE OF INDIANA, JAY COUNTY, SS:
This certifies, that I joined in marriage as Husband and Wife Frank O. Bittikofer and Ora M. Haley on the 20th day of February 1904
Alphonso E. Kemp
Source: Jay County, Indiana, Original Marriage Return, "Frank O. Bittikofer to Ora M. Haley, 1904"; County Marriage Returns Collection; Jay County Historical Society, Portland, Indiana.
INDIANA STATE BOARD OF HEALTH
RETURN OF A MARRIAGE TO COUNTY CLERK
1. Full Name of GROOM Franklin O. Bittikofer
2. Place of Residence Fort Recovery, Ohio
3. Occupation Farmer
4. Age next Birthday 22 years. Color White Race Caucasian
5. Place of Birth Fort Recovery Nationality American
6. Father's Name Abraham F. Bittikofer
7. Mother's Maiden Name Elizabeth Bishop
8. Number of Groom's Marriage First
9. Full Name of BRIDE Ora M. Haley
10. Place of Residence Fort Recovery
11. Age next Birthday 20 years. Color White Race American
12. Place of Birth Fort Recovery, O. Nationality "
13. Father's Name George W. Haley
14. Mother's Maiden Name Mary J. Sherick
15. Number of Bride's Marriage First
16. Married at Home of Bride's Parents in the County of Jay and State of Indiana, the 20th day of February 1904
17. Witnesses to Marriage Frank Haley, W.W. Vankirk
Marriage solemnized by Alphonso E. Kemp
Fort Recovery O.
Dated at Fort Recovery this 20th day of February 1904.
This record of the marriage of Franklin Oliver Bittikofer and Ora Amanda Haley was located at the Jay County Historical Society in Portland, Indiana.
Ora was my paternal great-grandaunt, the daughter of George Washington Haley and Mary Jane Sherick. The return listed her birthplace as Fort Recovery, Ohio, while I had shown it as Jay County, Indiana in my database. The Haley's were living in Seneca County, Ohio at the 1880 census, so they may have stopped in Fort Recovery before moving to Jay County.
The Frank Haley who witnessed the marriage was likely the bride's older brother.