Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Today in my database : Mary Ellen Swafford (b. August 30, 1854)

Today's featured relative in my database is my maternal 3rd-great grandmother, Mary Ellen Swafford.

Mary Ellen was born August 30, 1854 near Stinesville, Monroe Co., IN., the daughter of Peter Kirkpatrick and Mary Ann (Crockett) Swafford. Mary Ellen married July 2, 1873 in Monroe Co., IN to James Austin Davis, son of Austin and Fanny (Reynolds) Davis. James was born 1850 in Monroe Co., IN and died June 12, 1909 in Logansport, Cass Co., IN. They divorced before 1884. Mary Ellen married secondly on November 15, 1884 in Monroe Co., IN to Robert Farrell Gilliland, son of William John and Margaret Ann (Wilson) Gilliland. Robert was born November 27, 1849 in Pulaski Co., KY, and died August 4, 1916 in Whitehall, Monroe Co., IN. Mary Ellen died January 28, 1932 near Dolan, Monroe Co., IN.

Children of James Austin and Mary Ellen (Swafford) Davis are as follows :
i. Ida Davis b. July 2, 1874 d. August 2, 1900 m. Samuel Hancock m(2) Carrie Morris
ii. Dealie Davis b. July 1877 d. 1961 m. Daniel Stivers

Children of Robert Farrell and Mary Ellen (Swafford) Gilliland are as follows :
iii. William Everett Gilliland b. August 24, 1885 d. July 7, 1963 m. Maude Arthur
iv. Mary Florence Gilliland b. July 8, 1887 d. May 6, 1924 m. Thomas Franklin Crane

I descend from James Austin and Mary Ellen (Swafford) Davis through their daughter, Ida, as follows :
Mary Ellen Swafford and James Austin Davis
Ida Davis and _________
June Kirk Davis and Clemon Beals Lambertson (my great-grandparents)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mary Ellen Swafford is my great grandmother. My grandmother is Mary Florence Gilliland who married Thomas Franklin Crane. I am named for Tom Crane.

My mother Mildred Louise Moore is the ninth child of Mary Gilliland. She is near death at this time.

You can reach me at either of these email addresses: mooret@comcast.net or thomas.moore@wmich.edu
Tom Moore