Sunday, December 05, 2010

1897 Directory : Portland, Indiana


My dad has been "downsizing" a bit here recently and has been giving me family history items and other ephemera that I'm in the process of scanning, extracting and posting to the blog.  Using my new Flip-Pal scanner, I'm posting here some family I've found in the 1897 Directory of Portland, Indiana.  Dad's copy is the 1982 reprint, and it is still available for purchase for $5.00 (a steal!) from the Jay County Historical Society.

As I went through the directory, I scanned pages that contained surnames of interest in my research.


The Arthur E. Graves listed here with wife Carrie is the only one that is known to be family, but I've included the others in case someone else knows them.  Arthur was married to Carrie Mae HALEY, daughter of George W. and Mary Jane (SHERRICK) HALEY.  Carrie was my great-grandaunt.  She and Arthur were married in 1895 in Jay County.


There were several HALEY families listed in the directory, but the only one I know for sure is my family is Ora HALEY, listed as being of school age, living at 289 Robert Huey.  She is the sister of Carrie GRAVES (above), and living in the same household.  There were multiple HALEY families in Portland, and I've yet to sort them all out.


The Mary J. KIMBLE listed here is my paternal 2nd-great grandmother, Mary Jane (SHERRICK) HALEY KIMBLE, who was widowed and remarried in May of 1897 to Robert KIMBLE.  Why Robert is not listed in this directory, I'm not sure.  I do not know if the other KIMBLEs listed are of his family.  

Notice that Mary KIMBLE, Ora HALEY and Arthur & Carrie GRAVES were all living together at 289 Robert Huey.  Today, this street does not exist.  According to the street cross reference, Robert Huey was Meridian extended, from Votaw to North Corporate line.  Today this is all part of Meridian street.


I've yet to identify which PETRY family that Stella belongs with; another avenue of research.



The J.W. Wehrly listed here was John William WEHRLY, son of William P. and Olive Jane (SMITH) WEHRLY.  John was my paternal great-granduncle.  Later in the directory, the surname is spelled alternatively as Wherley.

Source: A City and Business Directory of the City of Portland, Indiana (1897) (Defiance, Ohio, USA: The Hubbard Company, 1982 (reprint))

No comments: