Monday, December 13, 2010

Advent Calendar : Holiday Travel

Did you or your ancestors travel anywhere for Christmas? How did you
travel and who traveled with you? Do you remember any special trips?

Every year on Christmas Eve we would go to my Grandma Wright's house in town.  Then, on Christmas Day, we would travel about an hour to my Grandma LeMaster's house.  

Right after my daughter was born, my in-laws flew all of us to Siesta Key, Florida for Christmas.  That was an interesting trip, especially with a six week old baby.  The weather was beautiful, and it felt strange not to have it be cold and snowy for Christmas.

My mother added her memories regarding holiday travel:
As a child, we went to grandparents home on Christmas eve to celebrate and exchange gifts.  When my brother moved to Chattanooga about 30 years ago, we decided to drive down on Christmas Eve Day and be with them.   A winter storm was predicted so we told the kids that we asked Santa if he could deliver gifts early and we left two days before Christmas eve. My mother went was us as she was a widow at the time.    It was warm (50degrees) and we went shopping on Christmas Eve.   We had a great time.

No comments: