Monday, March 07, 2011

Fearless Females: Grandma's Kitchen

March 7 — Share a favorite recipe from your mother or grandmother’s kitchen. Why is this dish your favorite? If you don’t have one that’s been passed down, describe a favorite holiday or other meal you shared with your family.


I've been slowly sharing the family recipes from my mother and grandmother on Friday posts, so I'll not repeat myself here.


My grandmother LeMaster used to have the biggest meals when we would gather for Christmas time or Easter.  I can remember the noodles and mashed potatoes - the noodles were always very thick, almost dumpling like.  One dish that she made that I don't see much of any more was hominy.  I'm pretty sure that my first exposure to it was at her house.  Beef and noodles were another dish I can remember.


My grandmother Wright was the one who started me on enjoying cottage cheese.  She liked to eat it with canned pineapple.  I will eat it with either milk and sugar, or with pepper, I don't care for fruit in mine.  


I know there are others but at the moment I'm drawing a blank.


Once again, in honor of National Women’s History Month, Lisa Alzo of The Accidental Genealogist blog presents Fearless Females: 31 Blogging Prompts to Celebrate Women’s History Month.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

we used to eat a lot of cottage cheese to. your post has given me a taste for some. I usually eat it plain. Never tried it with milk or pepper. Have had the pineapple/cottage cheese combination.

jwrigh10 said...

I remember that my grandmother Wright, taught me to put sugar on my cottage cheese. I guess she was responsible for me at least tolerating it with some sugar on top. Like you, I don't care for fruit in it.