Sunday, March 06, 2011

Fearless Females: Heirlooms

March 6 — Describe an heirloom you may have inherited from a female ancestor (wedding ring or other jewelry, china, clothing, etc.) If you don’t have any, then write about a specific object you remember from your mother or grandmother, or aunt (a scarf, a hat, cooking utensil, furniture, etc.)



Grandma Bonnie Wright's phone

One object I remember as a child was my grandma's Mickey Mouse telephone.  She must have bought it around the time of the Ma Bell breakup.  Before this phone, I remember that she had one of those heavy, black phones that were owned by the telephone company.  I believe the Mickey phone was the first non-telco owned phone that she had.

One incident I can still remember was a repairman being at her house who needed to make a phone call back to his office.  When he asked where the telephone was located, grandma pointed him to Mickey.  The guy couldn't believe that Mickey was a "real" telephone.

I'm happy to say that he's still in use today at my parent's house, and Bonnie's great-grandchildren still are able to make and answer phone calls on the "Mickey phone."

Once again, in honor of National Women’s History Month, Lisa Alzo of The Accidental Genealogist blog presents Fearless Females: 31 Blogging Prompts to Celebrate Women’s History Month.

No comments: