Source: Jay County, Indiana, Original Marriage License, "Forest L. Chew to Lelia E. Ehrhart, 1920"; County Marriage Returns Collection; Jay County Historical Society, Portland, Indiana.
State of Indiana, Jay County, SS:
To All Who Shall See These Presents, Greeting:
Know Ye, That any person empowered by Law to solemnize Marriages is hereby authorized to join together as Husband and Wife
Mr. Forest L. Chew
Miss Lelia E. Ehrhart
and for so doing this shall be his sufficient authority.
In Testimony Whereof, I, Hanson F. Mills, Clerk of the Jay Circuit Court, hereunto subscribe my name and affix the seal of said Court at Portland, this 1st day of September 1920
Hanson F. Mills, Clerk
Jay Circuit Court
State of Indiana, Jay County, SS;
This Certifies, That I joined in Marriage as Husband and Wife, Forest L. Chew and Miss Lelia E. Ehrhart on the first day of September 1920
J.H. Nall Minister
Source: Jay County, Indiana, Original Marriage Return, "Forest L. Chew to Lelia E. Ehrhart, 1920"; County Marriage Return Collection; Jay County Historical Society, Portland, Indiana.
INDIANA STATE BOARD OF HEALTH
Return of a Marriage to County Clerk
1. Full Name of GROOM Forest L. Chew
2. Place of Residence Jay Co. Ind.
3. Occupation Chauffer
4. Age Next Birthday 27 years Color White Race Caucasian
5. Place of Birth Dark Co Ohio Nationality American
6. Father's Name William A. Chew
7. Mother's Maiden Name Susan Straight
8. Number of Groom's Marriage first
9. Full Name of BRIDE Miss Lelia E. Ehrhart
10. Place of Residence Jay Co. Ind Occupation At home
11. Age Next Birthday 22 years Color White Race Caucasian
12. Place of Birth Jay Co Ind Nationality American
13. Father's Name T.M. Ehrhart
14. Mother's Maiden Name Catharine Harter
15. Number of Bride's Marriage first
16. Married at 124 West Arch St Portland in the County of Jay and State of Indiana, the 1st day of Sept 1920. By J.H. Nall
17. Witness to Marriage Aldie L. Nall
This record of the marriage of Forest L. Chew (1894-1948) and Lelia E. Ehrhart (1898-1978) was located at the Jay County Historical Society in Portland, Indiana.
Forest was my paternal 1st cousin 3 times removed, the son of William Anderson Chew and Emma Susan Straight. Until I found this record, I did not have Lelia's parentage information.
I do not yet know of the significance of the name of the minister who performed the ceremony; it appears that his wife was the witness to the marriage.