Source : Jay County, Indiana, Original Marriage License, "Russel J. Herchules to Bertha A. LeMaster, 1911"; County Marriage Returns Collection; Jay County Historical Society, Portland, Indiana.
State of Indiana, Jay County, ss:
To any Person Empowered by Law to Solemnize Marriages, Greeting:
You are hereby authorized to join together as Husband and wife
Mr. Russel J. Hercules
Miss Bertha A. LeMaster
according to the laws of the State of Indiana
In Testimony Whereof, I, Frank Gillespie, Clerk of the Jay Circuit Court, hereunto subscribe my name and affix the seal of said Court at my office in Portland, this 10" day of June A.D. 1911
Frank J. Gillespie Clerk
Jay Circuit Court
STATE OF INDIANA, JAY COUNTY, SS:
This Certifies, That I joined in Marriage as Husband and Wife Russell James Hercules and Bertha Alberta LeMaster on the tenth day of June 1911.
J.W. Kerr Minister
Source: Jay County, Indiana, Original Marriage Return; "Russell J. Hercules to Bertha A. LeMaster, 1911"; County Marriage Returns Collection; Jay County Historical Society, Portland, Indiana.
RETURN OF A MARRIAGE TO COUNTY CLERK
1. Full Name of Groom Russell James Hercules
2. Place of Residence Richmond Ind.
3. Occupation Employee in Piano Works
4. Age Next Birthday 22 years. Color White Race Cauc.
5. Place of Birth Darke Co Ohio Nationality American
6. Father's Name James Butler Hercules
7. Mother's Maiden Name Martha Jane Mullenix
8. Number of Groom's Marriage 1
9. Full Name of Bride Bertha Alberta LeMaster
10. Place of Residence Jay Co. Occupation [blank]
11. Age next Birthday 19 years. Color White Race Cauc.
12. Place of Birth Jay Co. Nationality American
13. Father's Name Luman Cooper Lemaster
14. Mother's Maiden Name Barbara Isabelle Wehrly
15. Number of Bride's Marriage 1
16. Married at Salamonia in the County of Jay and State of Indiana, the 10th day of June 1911.
17. Witnesses to Marriage L. C. LeMaster
Marriage solemnized by J.W. Kerr
Pastor, M.E. Church
Dated at Salamonia Ind., this 10th day of June 1911
This record of the marriage of Russell James Hercules and Bertha Alberta LeMaster was located at the Jay County Historical Society in Portland, Indiana.
Bertha was my paternal grand aunt, the daughter of Luman Cooper LeMaster and Barbara Isabel Wehrly. I could not make out the full place of Russell's employer at first, but checking out his WWI Draft record, I knew he was a wood worker with the Starr Piano Company. I knew that he was from Richmond, and they lived there after their marriage. Now with this record, I also have his parent's names.