Source: Jay County, Indiana, Original Marriage License, "Walter C. Martin to Bertha E. Chew, 1907"; County Marriage Returns Collection; Jay County Historical Society, Portland, Indiana.
State of Indiana, Jay County, SS:
To any Person Empowered by Law to Solemnize Marriages, Greeting:
You are hereby authorized to join together as Husband and Wife:
Mr. Walter C. Martin
M Bertha E. Chew
according to the laws of the State of Indiana
In Testimony Whereof, I Francis L. Crowe Clerk of the Jay County Circuit Court, hereunto subscribe my name and affix the seal of said Court, at my office in Portland, this 27 day of March A.D. 1907
Francis L.Crowe Clerk
STATE OF INDIANA, JAY COUNTY, ss:
This Certifies, That I joined in Marriage as Husband and Wife, Walter C. Martin and Bertha E. Chew on the 27th day of March 1907
Rev. C.E. Line Minister
Source: Jay County, Indiana, Original Marriage Return, "Walter C. Martin to Bertha E. Chew, 1907"; County Marriage Returns Collection; Jay County Historical Society, Portland, Indiana.
INDIANA STATE BOARD OF HEALTH
Return of a Marriage to County Clerk
1. Full Name of GROOM Walter C. Martin
2. Place of Residence New Corydon
3. Occupation Laborer
4. Age next Birthday 25 years. Color White Race Cau-
5. Place of Birth Iowa Nationality American
6. Father's Name Lansing Martin
7. Mother's Maiden Name Nancy Scholl
8. Number of Groom's Marriage First
9. Full name of BRIDE Bertha E. Chew
10. Place of Residence New Corydon
11. Age next Birthday 20 years. Color White Race Cau-
12. Place of Birth Indiana Nationality American
13. Father's Name Charles Chew
14. Mother's Maiden Name Rebecca F. Shoemaker
15. Number of Bride's Marriage First
16. Married at Portland, in the County of Jay and State of Indiana, the 27th day of March 1907
17. Witnesses to Marriage Mrs. C.E. Line & Ruth Line
Marriage solemnized by Rev. C.E. Line, Minister
Dated at Portland, this 27th day of March 1907
This record of the marriage of Walter C. Martin and Bertha E. Chew was found at the Jay County Historical Society in Portland, Indiana.
Bertha was my paternal first cousin three times removed, the daughter of Charles Alexander West CHEW and Rebecca F. SHUMAKER (Shoemaker). Before locating this record, I did not have anything further than Bertha's date of birth in my files.
I do not know the denomination of the minister who performed the ceremony.