George David Ellsworth Haley (1868-1941) was my paternal great-granduncle. What follows is an exploratory analysis of the biographical data I have discovered about him.
1. Vital Records
1.1. Birth Certificate
Ellsworth was born October 18, 18681 in Burbank, Wayne County, Ohio. A search of the birth records at FamilySearch.org has not located a record of his birth. The State of Ohio did not require the keeping of birth records until 1867. State law required the probate court to record those births from 1867 to 1908, according to the Ohio Historical Society webpage.
1.1.1. Birth Notice in Newspaper
If Ellsworth's birth was recorded in a newspaper, I have not yet discovered it. There are editions of the Sandusky Register in existence, and that is one avenue of research in the future.
1.1.2. Bible Record
I am not aware of any surviving Bible record of the Haley family. Will continue to reach out to extended family in hopes that one does exist.
1.1.3. Baptismal Record
The Haley's were members of the Evangelical Association. I am not aware of any baptismal record of Ellsworth at this time.
1.1.4. Adoption Record
There is no evidence that Ellsworth was adopted.
1.2. Marriage License
Ellsworth married Nettie M. Premer on June 17, 1890 in Jay County, Indiana2. I do not yet have a copy of their marriage license. Will add this to my list of "to-do" items for my next research trip.
1.2.1 Marriage Notice in Newspaper
Will need to search contemporary newspaper accounts to see if mention was made of Ellsworth and Nettie's nuptials.
1.2.2. Anniversary Notice
Ellsworth and Nettie's 25th wedding anniversary would have been June 17, 1915 and their 50th anniversary would have been June 17, 1940. Will need to search contemporary newspaper accounts to see if there was any mention of anniversary celebrations.
1.2.3. Divorce Decree
There is no indication that Ellsworth and Nettie were ever divorced, but a thorough search of Jay County, Indiana court records needs to be completed.
1.3. Death Certificate
Ellsworth died June 27, 1941, according to my database. I do not yet know exactly where he died, though likely it was in Jay County, Indiana. Will add this to my list of "to-do" items for my next research trip.
1.3.1. Obituary in Newspaper
Will need to check local newspapers in Jay County, Indiana as well as Fort Recovery, Ohio to see if mention was made of Ellsworth's obituary. Will add this to my list of "to-do" items for my next research trip.
1.3.2. Funeral Home Records
Once I've obtained a copy of Ellsworth's obituary, I can see if the funeral home is mentioned and contact them to see if they have any records of Ellsworth's funeral.
1.3.3. Tombstone Photograph
Ellsworth's tombstone in the Mt. Zion Cemetery in Jay County, Indiana3 has been photographed. It simply lists "Ellsworth Haley 1868-1941".
Ellsworth's FindAGrave Memorial page is here.
2. Census Records
2.1. Federal Census Records
2.1.1. 1940 Federal Census
On April 6, 1940, Ellsworth was enumerated as head of household in Ward 3 of Portland, Jay County, Indiana4, as Ellsworth D. Haley, age 71, married. He was renting his home. He was born in Indiana and had completed the 8th grade in education. His residence in 1935 was the same location. He was the proprietor of a retail feed seed store. The value of his property was $ 13. His residence was at 507 E. High Street.
2.1.2. 1930 Federal Census
On April 25, 1930, Ellsworth was enumerated as head of household in Ft. Recovery, Mercer County, Ohio5, as Elsworth D. Haley, age 61, married. He owned his own home and it was valued at $ 1200. He did not live on a farm and did not own a radio. He was married at age 21, was born in Ohio and spoke English. Both of his parents were born in Ohio. His occupation was listed as a contractor of house building.
2.1.3. 1920 Federal Census
On January 20, 1920, Ellsworth was enumerated as head of household in Hartford Township, Adams County, Indiana6, as Ellsworth D. Haley, age 51, married. He could read and write and spoke English. He was born in Ohio, as were both of his parents. His occupation was listed as a minister of the Evangelical Methodist Church.
2.1.4. 1910 Federal Census
On April 15, 1910, Ellsworth was enumerated as head of household in the 1st Ward of Portland, Jay County, Indiana7, as Ellsworth Haley, age 44, married. He had been married for 19 years. He was born in Ohio, as were both of his parents. He could read and write and spoke English. He owned his home and had a mortgage. His occupation was listed as a laborer in a factory.
2.1.5. 1900 Federal Census
On June 2, 1900, Ellsworth was enumerated as head of household in the 2nd Ward of Portland, Jay County, Indiana8, as Ellsworth Haley, age 31, married. He was born October 1868 in Ohio. Both of his parents were born in Ohio. He had been married for 9 years. He could read and write and spoke English. His occupation was listed as photographer.
2.1.6. 1800 Federal Census
On June 22, 1880, Ellsworth was enumerated in the George W. Haley household in Liberty Township, Seneca County, Ohio9, as David E. Haley, son, age 11, single. He was born in Ohio, as were both of his parents. He had attended school within the year.
2.1.7. 1870 Federal Census
On June 6, 1870, Ellsworth was enumerated in the George Haley household in Harrisville Township, Medina County, Ohio10, as David Haley, age 1. He was born in Ohio.
2.2. State Census Records
The State of Indiana conducted state census in 1853, 1857, 1871, 1877, 1883, 1889, 1901, 1913, 1919 and 1931. These, however, were merely for the purposes of legislative apportionment.
2.3. Agricultural Census Records
I have not yet investigated these types of records to see what light they might shed on the Haley farm.
3. Military Records
3.1. Draft Registration
Ellsworth was too old to have registered for the military draft during World War I.
3.2. Pension Records
3.3. Service Records
4. Land Records
4.1. Deed Records
Deed records need to be thoroughly searched in Jay and Adams County, Indiana to see what records mention Ellsworth.
4.2. Plat map / county map
Jay County published a plat map in 1874, 1881, 1887, 1901, 1910 and 1920 that might be relevant for my search for Ellsworth. I have access to the 1887 and 1901 maps, and need to research them to see what they show.
5. Supplemental Records
Supplemental records to research for Ellsworth include city/county directories, court records and will and probate records. Will add these to my list of "to-do" items for my next research trip.
In 1907, Ellsworth was a resident of 509 W. Walnut, Portland, Indiana11, along with wife, Nettie. His occupation was listed as laborer.
In 1916, Ellsworth was residing in Celina, Mercer County, Ohio12.
1. "Biographical and Historical Record of Jay County, Indiana", Lewis Publishing Company, 1887, page 665.
2. Jay County, Indiana Marriage Records, Book C-F, page 585.
3. FindAGrave Inc., FindAGrave.com (www.findagrave.com : accessed 27 August 2013).
4. 1940 U.S. census, Jay County, Indiana, population schedule, Ward 3, Portland, enumeration district 38-21, SD 5, sheet 2B, 507 E. High Street, dwelling 47, digital images, Ancestry.com (www.ancestry.com : accessed 29 May 2013); National Archives, Washington, D.C.
5. Elsworth D. Haley household, 1930 U.S. census, population schedule, Ft. Recovery, Mercer County, Ohio, ED 54-9, SD 11, sheet 3A, dwelling 50, family 50; National Archives micropublication T626, roll 1850.
6. Ellsworth D. Haley household, 1920 U.S. census, population schedule, Adams County, Indiana, Hartford Township, ED 8, SD 8, sheet 10, dwelling 213, family 213; National Archives micropublication T625, roll 420.
7. Ellsworth Haley household, 1910 U.S. census, population schedule, Jay County, Indiana, Portland, ED 80, SD 8, sheet 3, dwelling 73, family 74, National Archives micropublication T624, roll 358.
8. Ellsworth Haley household, 1900 U.S. census, population schedule, Jay County, Indiana, Portland, ED 75, SD 67, sheet 21, dwelling 45, family 45; National Archives micropublication T623, roll 380.
9. George W. Haley household, 1880 U.S. census, population schedule, Liberty Township, Seneca County, Ohio, ED 193, SD 1, dwelling 401, family 405; National Archives micropublication T9, roll 1065.
10. George Haley household, 1870 U.S. census, population schedule, Harrisville Township, Medina County, Ohio, Lodi P.O., page 10, dwelling 90, household 101; National Archives micropublication M593, roll 1241.
11. Complete Directory of Jay County (Portland, Indiana, USA: M. & M. Directory Co., 1907), page 59.
12. Mrs. Kimball Died Saturday obituary, Commercial-Review, Portland, Indiana, USA, January 15, 1916, page 1.
This post was developed as part of the series relating to Building My 2011 Research Template, an attempt to systematically document and source the details of my ancestors' lives. Comments regarding this template and the conclusions drawn in this article are welcomed.