John Metzner (1805-1888) was my paternal 3rd-great grandfather. What follows is an exploratory analysis of the biographical data I have discovered about him.
1. Vital Records
John was born October 2, 1805 in Saxony1, or October 21, according to one source2. His obituary cites the October 21st date, while tombstone calculation of his birth date would support the October 2nd date.
1.1. Birth Certificate
I have not yet located a birth record for John. Will continue to search sources such as FamilySearch in hopes of locating.
1.1.1. Birth Notice in Newspaper
If John's birth was mentioned in a newspaper, I'm not aware of it. Once I have the location, will continue to search to see if it was mentioned.
1.1.2. Bible Record
I'm not aware of any surviving Metzner family Bible that mentions John. Will continue to reach out to extended family in hopes that one can be located.
1.1.3. Baptismal Record
I'm not aware of any baptismal record for John. Later in life, he was associated with the Evangelical Association.
1.1.4. Adoption Record
There is no indication that John was adopted.
1.2. Marriage License
John married Catharine Young on November 16, 1839 in Newark, Licking County, Ohio3. John's obituary mentioned the date as November 4, 1839.
1.2.1 Marriage Notice in Newspaper
I have not yet searched available newspapers of the time period to see if mention was made of John and Catharine's nuptials. Will add that to my list of "to-do" items for my next research trip.
1.2.2. Anniversary Notice
I have not yet searched available newspapers of the time period for mention of any anniversary celebrations. Their 25th wedding anniversary would have been November 16, 1864. John passed away before their 50th.
1.2.3. Divorce Decree
Although there is no indication they were ever divorced, a complete search of local court records will need to be made to be sure.
1.3. Death Certificate
John died January 10, 1888 in Jay County, Indiana1,2,4.
1.3.1. Obituary in Newspaper
John's obituary appeared in the January 24, 1888 edition of the Evangelical Messenger2. His obituary stated that he came to America in 1837 and lived in Licking County, Ohio until 1850 when he moved to Jay County, Indiana.
1.3.2. Funeral Home Records
I will need to search local historical society records to see if they have any mention of the funeral home that handled John's arrangements.
1.3.3. Tombstone Photograph
John's tombstone in the Mt. Zion cemetery in Jay County, Indiana has been photographed
5. A link to his memorial page at FindAGrave site is located here.
2. Census Records
2.1. Federal Census Records
2.1.1. 1880 Federal Census
On June 7, 1880, John was enumerated as head of household in Noble Township, Jay County, Indiana6, as John Metzner, white, male, age 73, born in Saxony. His occupation was listed as a farmer. His father was listed as being born in Bavaria and his mother born in Saxony.
2.1.2. 1870 Federal Census
On June 15, 1870, John was enumerated as head of household in Noble Township, Jay County, Indiana7, as John Metzner, age 62, Farmer, born in Saxony. The value of his real estate was $3000 and his personal estate valued at $600. He was a U.S. citizen, both of his parents were listed as foreign born.
2.1.3. 1860 Federal Census
On June 22, 1860, John was enumerated as head of household in Noble Township, Jay County, Indiana8, as John Metzner, age 53, Farmer, born in Saxony. The value of his real estate was $1500 and the value of his personal estate was $400.
2.1.4. 1850 Federal Census
On September 21, 1850, John was enumerated as head of household in Noble Township, Jay County, Indiana9, as John Metzner, age 42, Farming, born in Germany. The value of his real estate was $300.
2.2. State Census Records
The State of Indiana conducted census in 1853, 1857, 1871, 1877, 1883, 1889, 1901, 1913, 1919 and 1931. These, however, were merely for the purposes of legislative apportionment.
No state census records of Ohio are known to exist.
2.3. Agricultural Census Records
I have not yet examined these types of records to see what light they might shed on the Metzner farm.
3. Military Records
3.1. Draft Registration
I have not located any military draft records for John.
3.2. Pension Records
I am not aware of any military service by John that would have made him eligible to receive pension benefits.
3.3. Service Records
I am not aware of any military service by John.
4. Land Records
4.1. Deed Records
Deed records need to be thoroughly searched in Licking County, Ohio and Jay County, Indiana to see what records might mention John. Will add this to my list of "to-do" items for my next research trip.
4.2. Plat map / county map
Plat maps of Licking County, Ohio and Jay County, Indiana need to be searched to see what information can be gleaned that will be relevant to my search.
5. Supplemental Records
Supplemental records to search for John include city/county directories, court records and will and probate records. Will add these to my list of "to-do" items for my next research trip.
1. Metzner, Paula L., [address withheld], Kalamazoo, MI 49001, Family Group Sheet.
2. Evangelical Messenger, New Berlin, Pennsylvania, 24 January 1888, page 59.
3. "Ohio, County Marriages, 1789-2013," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XZHL-F6J : 8 December 2014), John Metzner and Catherine Young, 16 Nov 1839; citing Licking, Ohio, United States, reference v.1,p.331,L.271; county courthouses, Ohio; FHL microfilm 384,300.
4. Jay Co., IN Death Records, Book H-1, p. 67.
5. FindAGrave, Inc., FindAGrave.com (www.findagrave.com : accessed 28 December 2016), John Metzner memorial.
6. 1880 U.S. Census, Jay County, Indiana, population schedule, Noble Township, enumeration district (ED) 154, SD 6, page 10B, dwelling 90, family 92, ; digital images, Ancestry.com (www.ancestry.com : accessed 24 December 2016); National Archives, Washington, D.C..
7. John Metzner household, 1870 U.S. census, population schedule, Noble Twp., Jay Co., IN, Hector P.O., page 30, dwelling 220, family 215; National Archives micropublication M593, roll 327., Page 104.
8. John Metzner household, 1860 U.S. census, population schedule, Noble Twp., Jay Co., IN, Hector P.O., dwelling 346, family 349; National Archives micropublication M653, roll 269., Page 188.
9. John Metzner household, 1850 U.S. census, population schedule, Noble Township, Jay County, Indiana, USA, page 314, dwelling 113, family 113; National Archives micropubliction M432, roll 153.
This post was developed as part of the series relating to Building My 2011 Research Template, an attempt to systematically document and source the details of my ancestors' lives. Comments regarding this template and the conclusions drawn in this article are welcomed.