My paternal third great-grandfather, Dr. Ezekiel Cooper Chew and his third wife, Mary Jane (RIDDLE) (ADAMS) (KEISER) SHIRK, are buried in the Lakeville Cemetery, St. Joseph's County, Indiana.
Ezekiel was born January 17, 1822 in Gloucester County, New Jersey, the son of Rev. Nathaniel and Mary (WEST) CHEW.
Mary Jane was born December 28, 1845 in St. Joseph's County, Indiana, the daughter of Wiley and Miranda M. (PRICE) RIDDLE.
Ezekiel died August 27, 1888 in St. Joseph's County, Indiana. Mary Jane died in 1921. After Ezekiel's death, she had married Simon KEISER on September 7, 1889 in St. Joseph's County, Indiana. This marriage ended in divorce, and she married Hiram SHIRK circa 1894.
Ezekiel's occupation was that of a medical doctor. He graduated from Jefferson College, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He served as a doctor for many years in Salamonia, Jay County, Indiana.
Ezekiel's first wife, Caroline Bishop WOOLSTON (1826-1879) was my 3rd-great grandmother. After her death, Ezekiel remarried to the widow Laura SKAGGS, and after her death married Mary Jane RIDDLE.
Children of Ezekiel Cooper and Caroline Bishop (WOOLSTON) CHEW are:
- Abel Woolston CHEW (1843-1903); married Salome HOLDEMAN; 11 children
- Nathaniel Derby CHEW (1845-aft1920); married Margaret HEISTAND; 7 children
- Mary Keziah CHEW (1847-1927); married Luman Walker LEMASTERS; 11 children
- James CHEW (c1848-c1851)
- Millard F. CHEW (1850-1851)
- Sarah Fidelia CHEW (1852-1935); married David ELEY; 5 children
- Samuel W. CHEW (1852-1852)
- Caroline Bishop CHEW (1854-1920); married Fred E. WHITACRE; 3 children
- Ezekiel Cooper CHEW (1856-aft1920); married Minnie J. SAFFORD; 4 children
- William Anderson CHEW (1858-1914); married Emma Susan STRAIGHT; 9 children
- Charles Alexander West CHEW (1860-1925); married Rebecca F. SHUMAKER; 10 children
- Horace Virgil CHEW (1865- ); married Esther V. ABEL; 3 children
- Donovan R. CHEW (1869- ); married Bertha ADAMS; 4 children
- Jesse CHEW
- Edis Playfair CHEW (1883-1915); married Bertha ________
- Wiley Riddle CHEW (1888-1959); married Dora Belle LAMB