Tuesday, March 16, 2010

To Add Another Online Tree Or Not?

Currently, I have an online database of my entire genealogical database, tjlgenes, online at WorldConnect. While I use this primarily as a source of backup for my data, I've also been contacted by distant cousins who've been kind enough to share corrections and additions through the "post-em" service.

Now that I'm an Ancestry.com subscriber, I've also been able to find others who share a common ancestry and have posted their family trees and photos on the site.  Just recently, I was able to connect with a member of my wife's extended family, and we are in the process of sharing information.  Since Ancestry.com gives you an option to post a family tree on the site as well, I'm debating whether I should create one.

I'm all in favor of sharing my information as far and as wide as possible, but I'm not sure of the best way to create a tree on Ancestry.  Should I upload the whole GEDCOM, or just create a tree one branch at a time?  Should I make it one big tree, or several smaller, independent branches.  Perhaps I'm over thinking the whole process.


© 2010, copyright Travis J. LeMaster
Post a Comment