Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Williamson & Spencer Funeral Home Records : Portland & Pennville, Indiana

One of the books I examined while in Portland last weekend at the Jay County Public Library was the title Williamson & Spencer Funeral Homes, Inc. Portland and Pennville, Indiana Burial Records, Book One 1892-1899, compiled and edited by Jane Ann Spencer.  This book had quite a few mentions of my family members, and has provided me with clues for more research.


One of the more interesting ones to me was the mention of Benjamin Franklin WEHRLY, who died in 1895 at age 21 years, 11 days of typhoid fever, son of William P. and Olive Jane (SMITH) WEHRLY.  According to the Day Book of Accounts at the funeral home, his father paid the account by supplying lumber.  That is just something you don't think of happening these days.  William Wehrly had a sawmill in Salamonia, Jay County, Indiana.


The book provided me with some extracted obituaries from early newspapers, but I want to follow up and get to the original sources for my database.

No comments: