Saturday, December 04, 2010

Advent Calendar : Christmas Cards

Did your family send cards? Did your family display the ones they
received? Do you still send Christmas cards? Do you have any cards
from your ancestors?

This year I'm behind in getting out my Christmas cards - I normally like to have them sent out during Thanksgiving weekend.  We ordered our cards late this year - didn't like what we saw at the store.  So far, the only card we have received has been from my employer. 

I've noticed the number of Christmas cards we receive dwindling each year.

My mom gave a response to this question as well:
My family sent Christmas cards and I can remember my mother especially looking forward to the cards with letters from friends from Colorado and Texas.   These two families were friends from the different bases that Dad was stationed at during WWII .   The couple from Colorado came to visit one summer during the late 50s or early 60s and I can remember them commenting on how green everything was as they came east.  The cards were always displayed somewhere in the house such as around the french door opening.

I send Christmas cards today but not as many as I use to.   I try to send letters to those who I don't see and often include a letter.  I always display them.   I don't save the cards anymore but when I was first married I did.   The kids would use them for craft projects as school or scouts.

The Christmas cards from our ancestors are mainly the beautiful embossed Christmas postcards that were mainly sent by Vera & Clarence Stuber,  Weldon's aunt and uncle.

I've enjoyed scanning the Christmas postcards from the collection of my great-aunt and uncle and displaying them here on the blog.

No comments: