Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Advent Calendar : Holiday Happenings

Often times December to mid-January birthdays and anniversaries get over shadowed by the Christmas/Hanukkah/New Year holidays. So we’re going to shine a spotlight on those family members and ancestors this time around. Select one or more December to mid-January birthdays and/or anniversaries on your family tree. Write a short tribute to or memory of those birthday guys and gals and write a toast to the anniversary couples.

When I think of December birthdays and anniversaries, I have to remember my mother's birthday on December 10th and my parents anniversary on December 7th.  Mom's birthday oftentimes was the demarcation line for when the Christmas tree would need to be put up at our house.  Their anniversary, forever tied to Pearl Harbor day, was always easy to remember as well.  I think my dad must have picked that day on purpose, so that he wouldn't forget.

My brother-in-law, Curt, has his birthday on December 23rd as well.  He's one of those babies that came home from the hospital in a stocking.  I need to ask him if he ever felt like his birthday and Christmas were blended presents-wise.

Mom offers her take on whole holiday birthday/anniversary issue:

Being one of those who was born in December, I understand how easy it is for Christmas and all it's activities to overshadow one's birthday.   However,  I must admit that as a child and an adult, my family has been great about remembering my birthday.   I also was married on Dec. 7th.   I always remarked that since my husband was a history teacher, this was one date he wouldn't forget.   Of course, he said that since my birthday, anniversary, and Christmas all fell in the same month, he would only have to get one gift.   He was joking of course.  

My father, Bill Wright, was born on December 1, 1919.   Although he passed away suddenly at the age of 53 1/2, I have never forgotten him on his birthday.   I miss him very much and wished that he could have known my children.   My daughter was 1 month old when he died suddenly, and my two sons were 2 and 4 1/2.   He would have been so proud of them and they of him.   

No comments: