Thursday, April 19, 2012

More Mom's April Gardening Tips


Planning your garden is important.   When the seed catalogs start coming in  January that is the time to start thinking of what you want to plant.  It is the time to look at your journal of the plants that did well or not so well from the previous year and what you want to eat fresh or for processing.   Draw a garden layout plan.   I keep my simple and try to rotate where I plant things.   I also make sure that I don't plant onions next to beans or peas as they are not compatible.   Tomatoes are not compatible with most cool weather plants such as broccoli, cabbage, corn, and potatoes.   Tomatoes are compatible with carrots, onions, cucumbers and peppers.    Sometimes it is hard not to put things next to each other but if you can avoid it, do so.   Therefore, one can see how a little plan can make for a better garden.    Marigolds are beneifical in the garden as they keep many bugs away and add color to your garden.  (Hint:  start buy canning jar lids now as the price will go up when canning season is in full swing.) 

Gardening has been such a big part of the family tradition that I thought I'd better get as much information written down from mom and dad as soon as possible to pass on.

No comments: