Elizabeth Caroline (Poe) Beals (1856-1935) was my maternal 3rd-great grandmother. What follows is an exploratory analysis of the biographical data I have discovered about her.
1. Vital Records
1.1. Birth Certificate
Elizabeth was born September 28, 1856 in Morgan County, Indiana1. The State of Indiana did not require birth certificates until 1907.
1.1.1. Birth Notice in Newspaper
If Elizabeth's birth was recorded in a newspaper, I've not located it yet. Will need to check with local libraries and state archives to see if they have any newspapers from the time period.
1.1.2. Bible Record
I'm not aware of any surviving Poe family Bible that might record her birth. Will continue to reach out to extended family in hopes that one can be located.
1.1.3. Baptismal Record
I am not aware of any baptismal record for Elizabeth. The family were members of the Society of Friends (Quaker) church.
1.1.4. Adoption Record
There is no indication that Elizabeth was adopted.
1.2. Marriage License
Elizabeth married Nathan Thomas Beals on September 26, 1876 in Hamilton County, Indiana2. Nathan was born February 17, 1856 in Westfield, Hamilton County, Indiana. They raised three daughters in Hamilton County, Indiana and Richardson County, Nebraska. Nathan died February 16, 1915 in Leola, Grant County, Arkansas.
1.2.1 Marriage Notice in Newspaper
Will need to search contemporary newspaper accounts to see if mention was made of Elizabeth and Nathan's nuptials.
1.2.2. Anniversary Notice
Elizabeth and Nathan's 25th wedding anniversary would have been September 26, 1901. Will need to search contemporary newspaper accounts to see if there was mention of any anniversary celebration. Will add this to my list of "to-do" items for my next research trip.
1.2.3. Divorce Decree
Though there is no indication of a divorce, will need to search court records in Hamilton County, Indiana to be sure there aren't records I've missed. Will add this to my list of "to-do" items for my next research trip.
1.3. Death Certificate
Elizabeth died September 27, 1935 near Greentown, Howard County, Indiana3. I do not yet have a copy of her death certificate. Will add this to my list of "to-do" items for my next research trip.
1.3.1. Obituary in Newspaper
Elizabeth's obituary appeared in the September 28, 1935 edition of the Tipton, Indiana Daily Tribune3. The cause of death was listed as paralysis and the obituary stated that she died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Charles Lambertson. This obituary was the subject of a previous post.
Elizabeth's obituary appeared in the September 30, 1935 edition of the Noblesville, Indiana Daily Ledger4.
1.3.2. Funeral Home Records
Will need to search for funeral home records at the local historical society to see if there is any more information I can obtain about Elizabeth's funeral. Will add this to my list of "to-do" items for my next research trip.
1.3.3. Tombstone Photograph
Elizabeth's tombstone in the Cicero Cemetery in Cicero, Indiana has been photographed5. A link to her memorial at FindAGrave is located here.
2. Census Records
2.1. Federal Census Records
2.1.1. 1930 Federal Census
On April 22, 1930, Elizabeth was enumerated as head of household in Indianapolis, Marion County, Indiana6 as Elizabeth Beals, age 73, widow. She was renting her home for $23.00 per month. Also living in the household were her daughter, Nellie Stober, aged 40, widow, and her granddaughter, Ruby Stober, aged 16, single. Her address was 1963 Tallman Avenue. Elizabeth could read and write and spoke English. She was born in Indiana, her father was born in North Carolina and her mother was born in Indiana.
2.1.2. 1920 Federal Census
On January 27, 1920, Elizabeth was enumerated in the Marion Blanton household in Jackson Township, Hamilton County, Indiana7, as Elizabeth Beals, age 63, widowed, servant. Elizabeth could read and write and speak English. She was born in Indiana, as were both of her parents.
2.1.3. 1910 Federal Census
On April 16, 1910, Elizabeth was enumerated in the Nathan T. Beals household in Cicero, Jackson Township, Hamilton County, Indiana8, as Elizabeth C. Beals, wife, age 52. She had been married for 33 years, and was the mother of 1 child who was still living. She was born in Indiana, as were both of her parents.
2.1.4. 1900 Federal Census
On June 1, 1900, Elizabeth was enumerated in the Nathan T. Beals household in Jackson Township, Hamilton County, Indiana9, as Elizabeth C. Beals, wife, born September 1856 in Indiana. She had been married 24 years and was the mother of 3 children, 2 of whom were living. Her father was born in South Carolina and her mother in Indiana. She could read and write and spoke English.
2.1.5. 1880 Federal Census
On June 12, 1880, Elizabeth was enumerated in the Nathan Beales household in Humboldt, Richardson County, Nebraska10, as Elizabeth Beales, wife, age 24, born Indiana. Her father was born in Indiana and her mother was born in North Carolina.
2.1.6. 1870 Federal Census
On August 17, 1870, Elizabeth was enumerated in the Isaac S. Poe household in Washington Township, Hamilton County, Indiana11, as Elizabeth Poe, age 13, born in Indiana. She had attended school within the year.
2.1.7. 1860 Federal Census
On August 3, 1860, Elizabeth was enumerated in the Isaac Poe household in Monroe Township, Morgan County, Indiana12, as Elizabeth Poe, age 3, female, born in Indiana.
2.2. State Census Records
On June 4, 1885, Elizabeth was enumerated in the N.T. Beals household in Humboldt, Richardson County, Nebraska13, as Elizabeth Beals, age 28, wife.
2.3. Agricultural Census Records
I have not yet investigated these types of census records to see what light they might shed on the Beals family.
3. Military Records
3.1. Draft Registration
Not applicable, as Elizabeth was female.
3.2. Pension Records
Elizabeth's father, Isaac S. Poe, served during the Civil War in Co E, 12th Indiana Infantry. I need to check and see if she received any benefits as a result of his service.
3.3. Service Records
Not applicable, as Elizabeth was female.
4. Land Records
4.1. Deed Records
Deed records need to be thoroughly searched in Hamilton County, Indiana and Richardson County, Nebraska to see what records might mention Elizabeth. Will add this to my list of "to-do" items for my next research trip.
4.2. Plat map / county map
Plat maps of Hamilton County, Indiana and Richardson County, Nebraska to see what information might be relevant to my search for Elizabeth.
5. Supplemental Records
Supplemental records available for research on Elizabeth include city/county directories, court records and will and probate records. Will add these to my list of "to-do" items for my next research trip.
1. Beals, John, "Chronology of the Beals Family", Butler Printing House, Noblesville, Indiana, 1912, page 49.
2. "Indiana Marriage, 1811-1959," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VXPP-TJB : accessed 15 Oct 2013), Nathan T Beal and Elizabeth E Poe, 1876
3. Mrs. Elizabeth Beals obituary, Tipton Daily Tribune, Tipton, Indiana, September 28, 1935, page 4.
4. Mrs. Elizabeth Beals obituary, Noblesville Daily Ledger, Noblesville, Indiana, September 30, 1935.
5. FindAGrave, Inc., FindAGrave (www.findagrave.com : accessed 8 December 2014), Elizabeth Caroline Beals tombstone.
6. 1930 U.S. census, Marion County, Indiana, population schedule, Ward 1, Indianapolis, enumeration district 49-11, SD 8, page 20B, dwelling 312, family 317; digital images, Ancestry.com (www.ancestry.com : accessed 4 January 2015); National Archives, Washington, D.C.
7. Marion Blaton household, 1920 U.S. census, Hamilton County, Indiana, population schedule, Jackson township, ED 99, SD 9, sheet 5, dwelling 89, family 89; National Archives micropublication T625, roll 435.
8. Nathan T. Beals household, 1910 U.S. census, Hamilton County, Indiana, population schedule, Cicero, ED 104, SD 9, sheet 2, dwelling 33, family 34; National Archives micropublication T624, roll 353.
9. Nathan T. Beals household, 1900 U.S. census, Hamilton County, Indiana, population schedule, Jackson township, ED 85, SD 9, sheet 1, dwelling 15, family 18; National Archives micropublication T623, roll 375.
10. Nathan Beales household, 1880 U.S. census, Humboldt, Richardson County, Nebraska, population schedule, ED 320, SD 1, page 27, dwelling 61, family 63; National Archives micropublication T9, roll 754.
11. Isaac S. Poe household, 1870 U.S. census, population schedule, Washington Township, Hamilton County, Indiana, page 76, dwelling 597, family 583; National Archives micropublication M593, roll 319, page 216.
12. Isaac Poe household, 1860 U.S. census, Morgan County, Indiana, population schedule, Monroe Township, Mooresville P.O., page 62, dwelling 433, household 442; digital images, Ancestry.com (www.ancestry.com : accessed 17 January 2015); National Archives, Washington, D.C.
13. "Nebraska State Census, 1885," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X3F4-G2K : accessed 22 January 2015), N T Beals, 1885; citing NARA microfilm publication M352 (Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.); FHL microfilm 499,573.
This post was developed as part of the series relating to Building My 2011 Research Template, an attempt to systematically document and source the details of my ancestors' lives. Comments regarding this template and the conclusions drawn in this article are welcomed.