Sunday, December 20, 2015

Monroe County Indiana Library's Obituary Index

Found out that the Monroe County, Indiana Public Library has a really good obituary index site at http://mcpl.info/indiana/monroe-county-obituary-index .  You can search for the obituaries of your relatives, and then have them sent to you either through the US Mail or scanned as a PDF.

Using Paypal, I ordered my first obituary from this index and look forward to seeing what the paper had to say about my maternal 4th great grandfather, Peter Kirkpatrick Swafford (d. 1885).  His obituary was in the September 9, 1885 edition of the Republican Progress.

Their search index is very easy to use.  If you have ancestors in that area, I would check it out.  I even found an obituary for my great-grandmother, who didn't live there, but had family still there when she died.  


No comments: