Tuesday, March 01, 2016

Parentage of Johnathan Collins (b. 1706 Bucks Co. PA)

Received an email from a fellow descendant of Jonathan Collins (b. 1706 Bucks Co. PA) through his son Mahlon, curious as to why I had noted on an earlier blog post that Jonathan's parents were not John Collins and Mary Meachum.

Back in 2008, I had been contacted by another researcher who advised me that Jonathan's parents were not John and Mary (Meachum) Collins.  Lacking any evidence to support my claim, I detached them as his parents.  Right now I cannot locate the email or other correspondence regarding this line.

Jonathan Collins was born October 8, 1706 in Bucks County, Pennyslvania and Ann ____ in 1731 in Hardwick, Warren County, New Jersey.  Their daughter, Deborah, who married Samuel Willson, was my ancestress.

A cursory glance online shows that John Collins and Mary Meachum were from Connecticut.  It is likely that someone has confused two families online and that was where I picked up the data originally.

I am hopeful that this new correspondence can shed some light on the parentage of Jonathan and also break down some other early NJ brickwalls on this part of the family.

No comments: