Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Two Fires In Three Years Destroy Home

While searching through the archives of Newspapers.com, I came across this article of the tragedy that struck my grandparents - two house fires within three years.  I cannot imagine losing everything I own to a fire once, let alone twice. 

The Muncie Star Press, Muncie, Indiana
February 9, 1939, page 9


BLAZE DESTROYS FARM RESIDENCE

Jay County Family Away As Fire Starts

Portland, Ind., Feb. 8 - Fire destroyed the farm home of Ord Lemaster, northeast of Bellfountain, last evening while the Lemaster's were visiting at the home of neighbors.  This is the second fire to destroy their home in the last three years.  Mr. and Mrs. Lemaster and their two children had gone to the Metzner home last evening and shortly after 8 o'clock were notified that their house was burning by William Hartzell, a neighbor, who first discovered the fire, which seemed to start from the inside.  Before aid could be summoned the home burned to the ground.  Nothing was saved by the family except the clothing which they wore at that time.  They lost all their belongings in the first fire.  They are making their home at the present with Mrs. Lemaster's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Eli Haley.

----
Will have to check at the Portland library to see if local papers give any more details.  The Metzner family mentioned were relatives as well.  My uncle had mentioned this fire to me, I will have to talk to him again about this and my aunt as well to see what they remember.

No comments: