Sunday, January 19, 2020

Genealogy Research Update

Haven't given an update on my research lately, I'd fallen off keeping up with the blog.  If it wasn't for having the diary entries from my great-aunt Vera, I'm not sure I would have even kept up with it.  But I have been doing some research that I have perkulating as potential future blog posts.

DNA

Autosomonal - Have encouraged a few more testers who descend from the Lambertson-Gilliland side to test with AncestryDNA.  Hoping to utilize the shared matching to solve the mystery of June's parentage.  Have made some progress and discovered an interesting cluster of matches that are pointing in one direction.

Y-DNA - I still owe a blog post on my LeMaster Y-37 DNA results.  Since then, I've upgraded my results twice, first to Y-67 and then Y-111.  Most fascinating stuff!  Additionally, my maternal cousin agreed to test his Y-DNA, so I will have Wright Y-37 DNA results to share as well.

Research Trips

I made a research trip back in September to Monroe County, Indiana that I need to write up.  Found some interesting land records and photographs at the Monroe County History Center.  Will definitely be making a return trip as this site had good information.

Additionally, made a trip to Fort Wayne in November and found some interesting things to write about.

Family Tree

I've been updating my RootsMagic database and slowly connecting the updates to my public Ancestry tree.  Currently working through adding burial locations by using the hints at FindAGrave.  Adding names to the database that should help identify some of those distant DNA matches.

Organization

Eileen bought me a nice scanner for Christmas, that I've been using to scan and digitize some documents and photos.  Need to continue working on eliminating paper and storing research in folders in Dropbox that make sense.  Too many times, I've looked for something I knew I had scanned in vain.

Cousin Bait

Created a couple of FaceBook groups that I'm hoping to use as cousin bait to continue to share information about extended family and photographs.  Will update in a future post.

Lineage Socities

Will this be the year I finally get those lineage society applications done?  Maybe.  I did just visit my first camp meeting at the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War.  Working on filing out the paperwork now.

Happy Hunting!

No comments: