Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Today in my database : William P. Smith (b. July 25, 1815)

Today's featured relative in my database is my paternal 3rd great-grandfather, William P. Smith.

William was born July 25, 1815 in Clark Co., OH., the son of Jacob and Jane (Elliott) Smith. William was married on October 3, 1836 to Prudence Maxson, daughter of Jesse and Sarah (Sutton) Maxson. Prudence was born June 15, 1817 in Greene Co., OH, and died February 22, 1890 in Salamonia, Jay Co., IN. William died April 19, 1894 in Salamonia, Jay Co., IN.

William was a minister of the Gospel and moved around quite a bit. In 1840 he was in Pike Twp., Jay Co., IN; between 1844-1851 he was in Cass Co., MI; by 1851 he was back in Jay Co., IN; also lived in Randolph Co., IN; between 1869-1881 he was in Richardson Co., NE.

During the Civil War, William served in Co. I, 139th Indiana Infantry as a Sergeant, for which he received a pension.

I descend from William and Prudence's daughter, Olive Jane as follows :

William P. Smith married Prudence Maxson
Olive Jane Smith married William P. Wehrly
Barbara Isabelle Wehrly married Luman Cooper LeMasters (my great-grandparents)

No comments: