Friday, December 10, 2010

Advent Calendar : Christmas Gifts

What were your favorite gifts, both to receive and to give? Are there specific gift-giving traditions among your family or ancestors?


These days, I pretty much like try to stay with the lists I'm given.  I don't do subtle too well, if there is something you specifically want, you need to tell me about it.  


As for favorite gifts, I'm happy with a good history or genealogy book.  As a kid, one of my most memorable gifts was the year I received a Commodore 64 computer.  It was memorable because not only did I not think I would be getting one, but in the way it was discovered.  We thought all of our presents were done and then I was told there was "one more" - and it was a great surprise.


Traditionally, Eileen and I get each other a calendar every year - mine is usually a Civil War theme, hers is of our dog breed.  My mom still puts tube socks and oranges in our stockings at her house.  The girls always have a big shopping day just before Christmas for new clothes, etc. each year.


I asked mom and dad to share what they remembered :
As a child, I was enjoyed receiving a new doll each year.   My mother usually made me a complete wardrobe of clothes to go with the doll. Once she made me matching clothes.  As an adult, I enjoy giving gifts that I have made especially pies and other goodies and sewn items.     Your dad remembers getting a wooden barn that Paul had made and a metal filling station.   The next year he got a train that he enjoyed.   He's still getting trains for Christmas.   

No comments: