Thursday, January 13, 2011

Random Research Updates

A few random research threads that I'm working on this week:


  • Contacted a volunteer from the Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness website, attempting to locate an obituary of William Clifford LeMaster, who died July 26, 1922 in Victor, Colorado.  Received a quick response back from the volunteer, who was going to check to see if Colorado Springs genealogy library had local papers on microfilm to help me.
  • Sent off to the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, MO for records of Luther P. Cummings, U.S. Navy records.  With Eileen as next-of-kin, there should be no charge for anything that they find using SF-180.
  • Attempting to track down the records of the Salamonia Methodist Episcopal Church.  Contacted Jay County Historical Society, Indiana Conference of United Methodist Church and finally DePauw University.  Their archives have records of memberships, baptisms, marriages and funerals.  Will have to plan a research trip.
  • Contacted the Colorado State Archives regarding records of the divorce and will of William Clifford LeMaster.  They responded positively, but it may be cost prohibitive to obtain these records.  Choices, choices...

1 comment:

Nancy said...

I know about cost prohibitive! When I first began thinking about doing genealogy I sent to a county for the will of my great-grandfather. At that time, they sent the will and told me that there were an additional 30 pages at $1.00/page for copies. I didn't have the money for it at the time. It's even more expensive now - and I still don't have the money for it! Choices.... Sometimes it's a question of what I'm willing to give up in exchange for genealogy.

BTW, I notice that you have family in Ohio. If you're ever looking for a news article or obituary and you have the date of the news/death, AND if the Ohio Historical Society Archives has a newspaper for that locality, maybe I can help. I go there every few months. They have an online listing of the newspapers they have on microfilm. (Though I know they're scanning them and putting them online - slowly.)