Monday, September 26, 2011

Moultons of Licking County, Ohio

Located FindAGrave pages for my paternal 4th-great grandparents, Selah and Lydia (FINEL) MOULTON and noticed photos of their tombstones.  They are buried in the Maple Grove Cemetery in Alexandria, Licking County, Ohio.


Until I received the email from Martha Sturgill of the Alexandria Public Library, I did not have their place of burial.  Martha was kind enough to search several records in Licking County, Ohio for me.


In the Maple Grove Cemetery records I did find the Moultons listed. They are buried side by side in plot 17, #3&4. Selah is listed as being born in 1790 and dying November 24, 1848 and Lydia as being born 1796 and dying December 3, 1869. They were the only Moulton's listed in cemetery records. Maple Grove is located just behind the school in Alexandria and is our biggest cemetery. There are many other small and family cemeteries on farms and in rural areas where some other Moulton's may be laid to rest. It is very hard to say.
Many of the early settlers of St. Albans Township in Licking County were from Vermont, as were the Moultons.  Prior to Ohio, the family was from Rutland County, Vermont.

Martha's email gave me some more insight into where Selah lived and records to research such as :

 In 1830 the Bible Society reported 128 families in the Township with 750 total population. In 1836 the Deacon made a list of the families by school district. In that list Selah Moulton is reported to be living in the Worthington Road district. This is still a rural farming area and no mention of Mr. Moulton was made in the chapter about mill owners and other business owners. From this I am assuming that he was a farmer. The copy of the 1848 platt map in the book is very blurred, but I did find the name of S. Moulton on it. It is just slightly SW of the center of the township. Do you know if the children stayed in the area? I couldn't find the name on the 1854 map.

Selah and Lydia's son, Albert, is my ancestor.  Albert disappeared during the Gold Rush era, and I'm also trying to track him down as well.

No comments: