Saturday, February 11, 2012

52 Weeks of Abundant Genealogy : Family Heirlooms

Week 6 - Family Heirlooms. For which family heirloom are you most thankful? How did you acquire this treasure and what does it mean to you and your family?


Most of the heirlooms of my family still remain with my parents for a number of reason, not the least of which is the fact that I have a small house.  But there is one family heirloom that I recently acquired that I am thankful for - the Bible carried by my paternal great-grandfather, Eli Weldon Haley (1866-1957).


It isn't the kind of Bible that most genealogists would hope for - there aren't names and dates of births, marriages, etc. within its pages.  It is valuable to me because it was one that he carried and used at church, as its well-worn cover and pages can attest.  It is a connection to the past and evidence of the role of faith in my ancestors life.  


I acquired this treasure within the past year from my father, who has been providing me with all sorts of family treasures and epherma.  The Haleys were members of the Evangelical Association, which merged after my ancestor's death into the United Methodist Church.  The church they worshiped in, Mt. Zion, is still an active church.


Just holding an everyday item that held value to him helps me feel a bit more connected.

No comments: