Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Wehrly Family, Portland, Indiana (1907)

Source: Complete Directory of Jay County, M & M Directory Co., Portland, Ind., 1907, p. 99


These listings of the WEHRLY family in Portland, Jay County, Indiana in 1907 are for my paternal relatives.


Charles WEHRLY with wife Rose is unidentified as a family member.  He was a laborer for the Grand Rapids and Indiana Railroad.


John William WEHRLY (1870-1954) with wife Esther L. WHITE was my paternal great-granduncle, and brother of my great grandmother, Barbara Isabel.  John was a jeweler.


John P. WEHRLY (1838-1910) with wife Katharine was my 2x great-granduncle. I usually have his wife's name spelled as Catherine with a "C".  She was a LEMASTERS, so I am related to both he and his wife.  He is shown as a laborer living at rural route 10 Portland.  In the 1900 census they were living in Madison Township, Jay County.


Lon WEHRLY (1880-1960) was the son of John P. above, his full name was Alonzo John Wehrly.  Interesting that his occupation was listed as salesman.  Later in life he would become sheriff of Jay County.  I do not know yet the maiden name of his wife, Bertha.


Luman Walker WEHRLY (1874-1961) was another son of John P. above, again another salesman.  He was living in Portland on Votaw.  His wife was Almeda COLLINS, listed simply as Meda in this directory.

No comments: