Thursday, November 06, 2014

Newman Smith and Martha Lemaster, Shelby County, Ohio, 1861

Received an exciting email this week from a potential cousin on my LeMaster side who wrote:


my 2xggfather's brother Newman Smith wife was Martha J. Lemaster, they married in Shelby county Ohio on August 25, 1861. He was also known as Rev Smith a minister of the Methodist church of Kansas, Oklahoma and Arkansas. I think she is the daughter of Luman Walker Lemasters (1808 - 1888) (also a minister of the Methodist church )and   Nancy Young Lemasters (1812 - 1904).  Can you please confirm this?

It is always exciting to make possible new connections, and I don't usually find them on my surname that are close.  Luman Walker Lemasters and Nancy Young Lemasters are my paternal 3rd great grandparents.  As they were married in Shelby County, Ohio and lived there until the mid-1850s, any other Lemaster in that vicinity has a good chance of being a close relative.

I was not aware of the marriage record of Newman Smith and Martha J. Lemaster in Shelby County, Ohio.  A quick search of Familysearch located the record:


"Ohio, County Marriages, 1789-1997," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XDPP-FQJ : accessed 06 Nov 2014), Newman H Smith and Martha Lamaster, 25 Aug 1861; citing Shelby, Ohio, United States, reference volume 4 page 184; county courthouses, Ohio; FHL microfilm 562859.

I quickly wrote him back and let him know that I did not think that the connection came through Luman Walker Lemasters and Nancy Young, as their daughter Martha was born too late to be the one who married in 1861.  Their Martha J. was born circa 1851 and married in 1872 in Jay County, Indiana to William Loofborrow.

That Newman was a Methodist minister is interesting, as that was the occupation of Luman Walker Lemasters and other members of the extended family.  They were closely associated with the Methodist church.

However, where I think there might be a connection is through Luman's brother, Lemuel Quin Lemasters (1811/2-1843) and Hannah Albright.  Lemuel died young, but he did have one son and three daughters.  One of those daughters was named Martha, who was born circa 1837.  She would be the right age to be the one who married Newman Smith in 1861.

I checked out Newman Smith's FindAGrave memorial and noticed that he had a son named Perry Quin Smith and that Perry named his son Lemuel.  Circumstantial evidence, I know, but the use of the uncommon names may indicate a connection.

I need to dig into the records in Shelby County, Ohio and see what I can find on Lemuel's family after his early death.  I believe at one time I requested his estate records, but I haven't sourced them into my database.

I'm waiting with fingers crossed to see if this potential cousin responds with more information and whether or not I'll be able to add more cousins to the tree.  I wonder if he has done any DNA testing?

1 comment:

Grandma Honey said...

Very interesting. Please keep us posted.