Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Shaky Leaves: Death of Peter Swafford, 1885, Owen County, Indiana

Found additional information at Ancestry regarding Peter Swafford, my maternal 4th great-grandfather and his date of death.  According to the WPA index, his death occurred at age 58 on August 18, 1885 in Spencer, Owen County, Indiana.

Name:Peter Swaffar
Date:18 Aug 1885
Location:Spencer
Age:58 Yr
Gender:Male
Race:White
Source Location:County Health Office, Spencer
Source notes:The source of this record is the book H-12 on page 70 within the series produced by the Indiana Works Progress Administration.

I would almost bet that I already had this information, but for some reason it wasn't in my database. I find it strange that his death occurred in mid-August and yet it took until the first week of September for any mention of his death in Bloomington paper.  Perhaps there was a Spencer newspaper that would have more information.  Now that I have his exact date of death, I can seek this out.

The spelling of the surname also gives me an indication of how the name was pronounced, likely without a hard 'd' at the end.

No comments: