Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Adney - Rinehart connections

Retracing some steps by cleaning out my inbox led me back to an email from Mary Alice Adney regarding the Adney and Rinehart families from 2005. In the email, she mentioned that Eileen's ancestors, Mary Adney and Jacob Rinehart were married and that both were buried in the Chicago graveyard of Henry County, Indiana. Mary was the daughter of Daniel Adney and Anna (Coger) Adney and Jacob was the son of Peter and Margaret (---) Rinehart.

Daniel Adney was buried in the Woods Chapel Cemetery near Liberty, Indiana in Henry County. Searching the FindAGrave website, I located his memorial here. Jacob and Mary (Adney) Rinehart also have their own memorials here and here.

The FindAGrave memorials stated that Jacob and Mary were married on January 29, 1821 in Preble County, Ohio, and that three of Jacob's brothers, Daniel, Peter and David married Adney sisters : Elizabeth, Sarah and Rebecca. This would indicate a strong relationship between these two families. The location of their families in Preble County at the same timeframe as my Wehrly ancestors makes me curious if they crossed paths.

Daniel Adney's parents were Thomas Adney and Elizabeth Dunn. Thomas came from England, according to Mary's email, but the exact date is not known. Mary mentioned that she wrote a book on the Adney's, and searching the catalog of the Allen County library I found the title : Adney Family Story, published in 1986. I will have to mark this on my to-do list for research on my next return trip to the library.

I've contacted the contributors of the FindAGrave pages for more information as well. One lists Peter Rinehart's wife Margaret's maiden name as Minga, information that I didn't have, giving me another branch to research.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My family records say that 4 Rinehart brothers married 4 Adney sisters:

Jacob to Mary, 4 Jan 1821, Preble Co,, OH
Peter to Sarah, 19 Fen 1824
Daniel to Elizabeth, 19 Apr 1832
David to Rebecca, 7 Feb 1833