Saturday, December 05, 2009

Advent Calendar - December 5 - Outdoor Decorations

Some people really go 'all out' when they do their Christmas decorations, particularly in the realm of outside decorations.  Others prefer the minimalist approach.  I'm somewhere in the middle.


I wonder what my ancestors would think about all of the excessive lights and plastic lawn ornaments.  They probably would think that we were being wasteful of electricity.


Growing up, my parents had quite a collection of outside Christmas ornaments - everything from Santa and the reindeer, Frosty the Snowman, Nativity scenes, etc.  My dad would really enjoy setting up the outside displays.  Some of these ornaments have now migrated to my house and my brother and sister's house.  Still today, the grandkids love to come and see all of the decorations that my parents have put outside in their yard.


One lawn ornament, Frosty the Snowman, has migrated to my house.  Apparently, when I was a youngster, I cried and cried when Frosty melted after watching the cartoon TV special.  In an attempt to pacify me, my parents bought a plastic yard ornament of Frosty so they could show my young eyes that Frosty didn't really melt away.  Now, as an adult, Frosty has a home with me.


This year, I only have a minimum of outside decorations - some lights on the bushes, and a Frosty the Snowman.  My neighbor, however, is going for the Clark Griswald award, and lights up the entire neighborhood.  My wife doesn't want me to get involved in a competition, but deep in my heart, I'm plotting how I can do better next year and beat him.

No comments: