Monday, March 23, 2015

Military Monday : Irvin Metzner, World War II Draft Registration, 1942

Working my way through the hints in the Ancestry database for World War II Draft Registrations, 1942 and located this registration in Jay County, Indiana for Irvin George Metzner, my paternal first cousin three times removed.


"World War II Draft Registation Cards, 1942," digital images, Ancestry.com (www.ancestry.com : accessed 23 March 2015); citing Selective Service Registration Cards, World War II: Fourth Registration: Indiana, National Archives, Washington, D.C..



This draft registration adds to the information I've collected about Irvin, who was the son of William F. Metzner and Mary Ann Haley.  Irvin's draft registration gives his exact date of birth as January 16, 1879 in Jay County, Indiana.  Previously, I only had the month and year from census information.

It's hard to make out the name of the person who would always know where Irvin was, it appears to be Edward Bauifus of Bryant, Indiana.  Irvin was listed as self employed.  His wife must have been deceased by this time.  In the 1900 census, he was a school teacher, but I have a lot of gaps in his history.

Physically, Irvin was described as being light complexion, with blue eyes and black hair.  He stood 5'11" and weighed 150 lbs.

Military Monday – We all have ancestors who have served in the military. Military Monday is a place to post their images, stories and records of their service in various branches of the military. Military Monday is an ongoing series by Cindy at Everything’s Relative – Researching Your Family History.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This is my great uncle Irvin. He owned a furniture store in Bryant Indiana, and early on he had been a schol teacher as well as a mortician. He and his dad operated it together early on, then Uncle Irvin took it over after his dad retired (Wm. F.) Uncle Irvin's first wife died around 1942 or so, which is the year I was born. He remarried to Aunt Alma, who had been a teacher. I remember Aunt Alma quite well. Uncle Irvin must have had two children, as the grave record shows a son's headstone close to the headstone where he is with his first wife. Aunt Alma's grave is separate. I did meet Julia Lee his daughter who was several years older than me. His fist wife was also named Julia. Hope this info helps. My grandmother, Laura was the youngest sister of Irvin. Her daughter was my mother.
Barb Hughes

Travis LeMaster said...

Hi Barb -

I show 3 children of Irvin & Julia : Herbert W. (1906), Earnestine (1908) and Wendel P. (1912), there may be others. Thank you for the death date timeframe for wife Julia.

Travis

Unknown said...

Hi Travis: Thanks for the update about Uncle Irvin's children. I don’t remember meeting anyone but his daughter and she was finishing college at that time so think she must have been born in the late 20's or early 30s
I didn't know about their other children. Barb Hughes.